Home Safety

Out-of-Sight Dryer Vents Accumulate Lint That Frequently Causes Fires

Many businesses maintain on-site laundry facilities, from laundromats and hotels to apartment complexes, gyms and medical clinics. These commercial entities share something else besides laundry equipment: an increased risk of fire sparked by a very flammable substance. A substance so easily ignited,[...]

Healing is the Hardest Part: Home Fire Takes Retired Firefighter and His Dog

When a devastating house fire destroyed the first floor of a home in the Kitchener-Waterloo community, it tragically took the lives of a former firefighter and his pet. The man’s only living relative, his sister, was heartbroken and asked to see the scene. For Glenn Wilkinson, the owner of Paul[...]

Is Mould Causing These Health Problems?

When we experience coughing, congestion and throat irritation during a humid summer and fall, can we blame the symptoms on mould? It’s a question everyone asks at this time of year and even a casual search of the internet reveals qualified experts who disagree significantly. The bottom line:[...]

Protecting Beloved Family Pets From Flood Threats

Dogs wag in our houses, cats bask in our apartments, canaries sing in our kitchens – this resident menagerie makes us better people. Study after study prove that sharing our lives with animals boosts mental and physical health. And oh boy, are we sharing with the frisky set: nearly half of all[...]

A Hazardous Spill – Paul Davis Explains What to Do Right Away

Which of these is a hazardous spill in the workplace: a puddle of water in the lobby from a dripping umbrella, drops of mercury from a broken thermometer in the health center or a sulphuric acid leak on the shop floor? It’s a trick question because all three are hazardous even though one of the[...]